September Information for Grade 12's
Good morning Grade 12 Parents,
This e-mail is intended to provide you all with information regarding the ways in which your grade 12 children can keep informed about everything to do with being a grade 12 student and how they can begin to investigate college and university programs. Kindly review this information thoroughly.
- Grade 12 students will receive a great deal of information this year. This information will be posted on the Grade 12 Teams page (for students only), the school webpage (St. Michael Catholic High School (cdsbeo.on.ca), our social media accounts, and at times it will be sent via school e-mail. It is essential that Grade 12 students check their CDSBEO email and the grade 12 Teams page regularly. It is highly recommended that students put their school e-mail account and the Teams page on their electronic devices so they can be sure to receive updates in a timely fashion.
- The Guidance department is just about finished with course/schedule changes. However, it is imperative that any student who is applying to university for September 2022 double checks that they have 6 4U/4M courses on their schedule/transcript. This is absolutely necessary to be eligible to apply to university in Ontario. Specific course requirements are also important to check, and websites where students/parents can do this are provided further along in this e-mail. College-bound students are also encouraged to double check prerequisites for college programs to ensure they are taking the correct courses to gain entry to their program of choice. Please encourage your children to make sure that they have the courses necessary to be eligible to apply to their desired program(s).
- For the time being, all university and college liaison presentations will be virtual, taking place after school hours whenever possible, so that students can access the presentations they wish to attend without having to miss class. We will provide the presentation link for students to access each presentation on the Grade 12 Teams page. Please encourage your child to search for the presentations from the schools they are most interested in regularly as we will be adding new dates regularly.
- Applications for college and university programs beginning in September 2022 generally open in early October and it is recommended that students complete theirs before Christmas to avoid the last-minute rush and any potential technological pitfalls which might result in a missed deadline. The firm deadlines for equal considertaion to these programs are January 13, 2022 for Ontario universities and February 1, 2002 for Ontario colleges. Please encourage your child to mark these important dates on/in their calendar.
- Out-of-province college and university applications have their own separate applications and application fees for each institution and they each have their own deadlines. Students wishing to apply to out-of-province schools must identify themselves to a guidance counsellor if they need help with these applications. They are also responsible for meeting the application deadlines for these schools.
- Any student wishing to discuss post-secondary applications is welcome to contact our guidance secretary, Kim Brown, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-258-7232 x.280 to make an appointment with a guidance counsellor. These appointments will be virtual or by phone until further notice.
- At this time students should be researching universities and colleges. The websites below will be extremely helpful. It is essential that students research programs of interest prior to meeting with a guidance counsellor.
Ontario Universities: https://ontariouniversitiesinfo.ca/
Ontario Colleges: https://ontariocolleges.ca/en/
- Students interested in applying for scholarships are encouraged to create an account at one or several scholarship search websites. Some of these include Yconic and ScholarshipsCanada - Find Scholarships, Student Awards, Bursaries & Financial Aid. Information regarding some of the larger scholarships that is regularly sent to guidance counsellors will be posted on the Grade 12 Teams page.
This is a very exciting time for grade 12 students and their parents. We very much look forward to supporting all our students on the road to their prefered post-secondary destination. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.
The St. Michael Catholic High School Guidance Department